Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Sprouting Spuds.....

With messy play a huge favourite of Miss Connie's, my now 3yr old, I decided to make her an Art Smock just for these occasions... (front view)
This was super easy and if you'd like to make one too I've drafted the pattern up for download as a PDF.... This pattern will make up a child's size 2-3.There are 4 pattern piece's to this smock:
(back view closed)
Once you've printed out the pattern pieces on A4 paper join bib-a to bib-b and arm-a to arm-b along the dotted lines. Cut out your fabric as stated on the pattern pieces...
(back view open)
Sew up the arm seams using 1/4' seam, I used my over-locker here for a nice neat finish. Next sew the arm to the bib, right sides facing.... Now using some bias tape (I made my own in a contrasting colour) sew it around the bib to enclose all the raw edges. When sewing the bias tape to the neck opening I like to leave a good 6' tail at both ends to use as ties but you could just as easily attack a button here if you don't want a tie...
I like to add some elastic to the bottom of the sleeves to help keep them down but you could just simply hem them if you'd prefer not to use elastic...
If you have any questions about making this smock feel free to email me and I'll try my best to help you out... *^_^*

On the garden front I've been blessed with some yummy delicious potatoes this week.....
A couple of months back some Sebago and Pontiac spuds started sprouting in my pantry so instead of giving them to the chooks I decided to dig a hole out the back and plant them... To my surprise this is the second little harvest I've had from my sprouting spuds and I still have 3 plants yet to be harvested... They are the sweetest, most tender little gems I've ever tasted... I just slice them thinly and fry them in olive oil with some freshly chopped garlic and cracked pepper.... DELICIOUS!!!!

What's something new you're growing in your garden this year???

Take Care :)

8 comments:

  1. That little big is so CUTE! I LOVE that kitty fabric. Isn't it too early to be harvesting anything down under? I'm so confused!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute smock :-)

    I accidently grew some potatoes in my compost this year; they taste divine! I'm trying lots of new things this year: broad beans, snow peas, corn, garlic, onions...none of which is ready to eat yet! how did you go with your broad beans?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That smock is so cute! Love that kitty fabric too!! Love your idea for cooking potatoes as well, might have to give that a try!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the smock top Jodie, and the potatoes look delicious, I am going to harvest my potatoes on the weekend, if I have any. Keep your fingers crossed.

    gg

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, I love the smock but those spuds look super delicious!!! It a whole lot-ta fun harvesting veggies!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a cute art smock! It looks to pretty to get paint on it.

    Your potatoes sound delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The little art smock looks great Jodie. My kids always had the elastic sleeves too as it helped to stop them getting paint covered arms. Those spuds do look rather delicious. My dad used to grow them too and we used to pick them and boil them up for dinner with some butter and parsley, so tasty. I tried to grow broccolini this year but unfortunately it all turned to seed. I must have planted it too late as I didnt even get any to harvest.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I want to eat some spuds RIGHT NOW!! As you know we are patiently waiting for out sapphire spuds to come up!! I love that art smock not as much as wyatt does though ;)

    ReplyDelete

Spring Seed Swap?

I had big plans of sharing a late Winter garden update with you all this post, full of beautiful pictures of Wintry produce such as peas (...