Friday, September 10, 2010

1 Ball Projects.....

I've been looking for patterns to make for Spring that only use 1 x 50g ball of yarn in an effort to introduce some of the more 'boutique' yarns to my local girls... I love using nice yarn but when you're paying anywhere from $9.50+ per ball those projects that take more than 1/2 a dozen do seem a tad on the expensive side...
What do you think??? What kind of yarn do you like to purchase and is there a limit that you put on yourself when it comes to the price???
This dress was a great little '1 ball project' that I whipped up in only 2 evenings (free pattern available here).
I used some Debbie Bliss Ecobaby yarn which sells for $9.50 a ball. I would so totally use this yarn again!!!! It was silky smooth to the touch and a dream to knit with... The colour, almost teal, is divine and looks just gorgeous teamed up with the blue/black wool/linen blend that I used for the skirt of the dress...
I'm really loving cotton at the moment and have used it again to make this little pair of super cute baby booties for my shop....... It's Sierra and is another gorgeous yarn!!! The 80% cotton, 20% wool blend is just exquisite!!! It has a real texture to it that allows it to mould beautifully to a pattern....

There are so many gorgeous yarns available which really makes me excited to be a knitter/crocheter.... What's a great yarn that you've used lately, one that's really made your heart sing???


Hugs............. Jodie xx-xx

5 comments:

  1. The dress is so cute Jodie! The little shoes, just adorable. I have to say that I really love knitting with the BWM Melody yarn for kids knits, it has such a nice smooth texture and nice colors too, although 2 have disappeared already! Cotton Ease is another nice one too. I think it is great to spend $9.50 if you only have to use one skein and you get a very wearable accessory or garment out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the one-ball ideas. Definitely need these to use up stash yarn, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a pretty dress, that's lovely. One of my favourite yarns at the moment is Debbie Bliss Chunky Donegal Tweed - but it's coming up to winter here, so we need big bulky yarns for scarves and hats!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love different yarns but like you said some of them can be a tad on the expensive side when you want to make a cardi or a jumper!

    I LOVE how you have combined the wool with the material in the dress...so cute, and that yarn looks yummy :-)

    Just going back over a few of your posts....lovely! AND I love the little lambs! I have a little dexter calf down with a tick at the moment and I am spending most of my time back and forth between the house and the top paddock.....babies do take up a lot of our time but I wouldn't be without them.

    PS your place looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG. I want to nibble on those little booties.
    Clever lady.

    xx Amy

    ReplyDelete

Spring Seed Swap?

I had big plans of sharing a late Winter garden update with you all this post, full of beautiful pictures of Wintry produce such as peas (...