Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Cinnamon Oat Bars

I've been making soap for my family for the past 12 months and thought it was high time I shared the recipe with you all....
My most favourite bar by far would have to be 'cinnamon oat'.... It makes for the perfect kitchen soap and washers up dirty garden hands a treat!!!!
It's also super soft on the kiddies hands, works up a lather really well,
and the heavenly smell it leaves always has me smelling my fingers for hours after every wash : : YUMM-O!!!!
So here's my super simple soap recipe.....

Grate up 3 cups of plain, unscented soap flakes (you could just as easily use lux flakes if you'd prefer to not grate your own). Put these flakes into a heavy based saucepan with 2/3 cups of milk and 2 tablespoons of olive oil.

Heat slowly... This is important as you don't want the milk to burn and trust me, if you rush it it will!!!!

When the soap flakes start to melt add 1/3 cups of milk powder. Stir until all of the lumps have dissolved and your mixture is smooth, almost melted wax like in consistency.

Now I like to add my flavours... Have fun with this!!!

I add 2 teaspoons of ground cinnamon, 1 teaspoon of cinnamon essential oil and 1/4 cup of mixed oats and bran for my cinnamon oat bars. (I also love adding lemon rind and lemon essential oil for an odour busting bar. These bars are perfect to use after handling garlic and onions)...

Once you're happy with the consistency of your mixture it's time to pour it into a mould.
I have an old aluminium ice tray that I use for my soap, it measures 6cm x 22cm and is about 5cm deep. Any container of similar size will do (plastic, glass, aluminium, etc), just make sure you grease it well with olive oil.

Allow the soap to set for at least 2 hours and then turn it out onto a chopping board and slice into 1.5cm wedges. I now like to cure my soap by sitting it on a wire rack for at least 24hours. Store your soap somewhere dry until you're ready to use it, I put mine in an old biscuit tin....
From each batch of soap I usually get about a dozen bars which lasts my family of 4 for 3 months, minimum... At a cost of approximately $2.50 a batch this really is a much more economical way to clean your family, don't you think???

29 comments:

  1. I've always been afraid of making soap b/c of the lye ... I might have to give this a go! Thanks for sharing :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. yay! thank you for posting this.
    I also haven't tried because of the lye & my 4.5 yr old asked the other day if we could make some.
    I will definitely try this. thanks.
    I'll let you know how we go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your soap sounds wonderful! I have never experimented with soap making but this sounds so good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for sharing this! I have been wanting to make soap for ages but haven't been able to find a user friendly recipe. I can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing this. I have often wondered 'how to' and now I know, I may just give it a go!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much for sharing this Jodie! I've always wanted to make soap and the caustic elements scared me. Soft soap for camping while in guides doesn't count! Bring on next year's Spring fair!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Jodie, thanks for this recipe. I have always been going to make soap but never got around to it but this sounds so nice and user freindly i will definately give it ago and let you know how it turns out soon. sue~n.z.

    ReplyDelete
  8. OH...I HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR THIS!!!!!!!!!! THANKS A HEAP XX

    ReplyDelete
  9. Is there anything you can't do!!! your amazing!!! will have to try this one, sounds yumm-o!!! (you should sell them at the shop)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jodie this recipe for soap sounds sooo good!
    I've been wanting to make my own soap for ages but never found a great recipe! I will definitely be giving this a go, I'll let you know how it turns out!!
    Thanks! :o)
    Ellie x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you! Soap making is now firmly on my list of things I would really like to try.

    ReplyDelete
  12. FANTASTIC! Kate and I will be trying this out on the weekend, thanks so much for the recipe. Here's hoping it turns out better than more scones *giggle* toni xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. It looks great! I am going to have a go now...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wish these were for sale in your shop... They look great !

    ReplyDelete
  15. I can't wait to try this! I have been going to make soap for months, but have been put off by the danger of the caustic soda. This recipe sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is so great - I have not ventured into soap yet but as my excema on my hand is so frequently irritated by so called "pure goats milk soap" I am sure I will soon! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oooh, that soap looks wonderful -- thanks so much for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  18. They look good enough to eat:) I will give these a try too. Will make great xmas pressies paired with a crochet washcloth! Thanks Jodie x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow! What a great tutorial! Will put it on my list for Xmas present ideas. And it looks like fun too..

    ReplyDelete
  20. I bet it smells dreamy! I'll have to try this one. Such a pleasure meeting you.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your soap sounds good enough to eat!!! We will definetly be having a go at this!! What a fantastic school holiday activity!! Thanks for sharing Jodie!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. i have been wanting to try this for christmas gifts but always thought it would be too hard - I will have to give this recipe a go for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Tks Jodie, sounds like a great recipe and not complicated or caustic or scary. I've looked at quite a few over the past few months as it's something I've been wanting to have a go at, some call for coconut oil which we can't buy here too. Here is a link from my favourites to a blog you might enjoy, they make a range of homemade soaps etc. They also have a permaculture blog - http://ishbarn.blogspot.com/...regards, Ann from http://simplyhavingfunwithstamps.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  24. I wonder one could do little 'guest' soaps in those silicon ice trays that come in shapes... Hmm...

    ReplyDelete
  25. At first i thought cinnamon oat bars were some tasty edible treat but when i realized you were giving a soap recipe i was truly excited. I've also wanted to make soap for ages but hadn't found a user friendly recipe...until now...so, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thanks HEAPS, we have been loving your soap here for this last week : ) Like lots of other readers, I'd been meaning to do this for ages and when I realised we had everything at home to go, my daughter and I got to it while the boys were sleeping. A very fun and easy holiday project, and it feels so satisfying! I've already stocked up on more pure soap and milk powder for the pressies batches : ) Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I have now made 2 batches using your basic recipe as a starting point and they have both worked really well. I will blog them both at some stage over Blogtober :)

    Many Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Gracias por compartir, muy buena idea para que ayuden los niños. Te visito desde Guadalajara, Jalisco, México.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I just made my first ever batch of soap with your recipe! I used lavender from the garden and geranium oil because my lavender oil had no scent (probably just a little out of date!?!), so we'll see how it turns out. It's currently drying, so I can test it out tomorrow! Thanks for the info :-)

    ReplyDelete

Spring Seed Swap?

I had big plans of sharing a late Winter garden update with you all this post, full of beautiful pictures of Wintry produce such as peas (...