Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Mandarin Butter

Yesterday I decided to bite the bullet and make a batch of Mandarin butter/curd... I used the same recipe as I do for my Lemon butter/curd (thanks Mum) I just omitted half the sugar and replaced the lemon juice and zest with mandarin juice and zest....
(the jar on the left is the lemon and the one on the right is the mandarin)
My lemon butter is always perfect.... Right texture, colour,
consistency and most importantly, TASTE.....
The mandarin butter on the other hand, while it tastes ABSOLUTELY DELICIOUS, tends to look more like a thick syrup than a firm butter....
I'll play around with my recipe a little before my next batch and see if I can get it a bit thicker...
Here's my recipe if your wanting to give it a try before then (add a few more eggs if you're wanting it slightly thicker)....
Mandarin Butter/Curd
Juice of 14 Mandarins and the zest of 2.
2 1/2 cups of sugar
350g butter
12 eggs
Combine all ingredients in a double boiler and stir over low heat until mixture thickens and coats the back of a spoon (this can take quite a bit of time, plan for 30-60 minutes stirring time). Strain thickened mixture through a sieve and then pour into sterilized jars... Your Butter/Curd should keep indefinitely if bottled correctly.
This amount of mixture made 8 x 250ml jars (2 litres) of butter/curd.

4 comments:

  1. It looks delicious. I'm a big fan of Lemon Curd, and the Madarin sounds really scrummy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh yum! I love anything citrus.

    ReplyDelete
  3. that sounds absolutely delicious, I am going to have to walk down to our local market and see if they have any mandarins.

    ReplyDelete

Spring Seed Swap?

I had big plans of sharing a late Winter garden update with you all this post, full of beautiful pictures of Wintry produce such as peas (...